DREAM JOB: TAX ADVISOR
HI THERE. IT'S GREAT TO MEET YOU.
A bit about us: Brass Taxes helps creatives & freelancers with their taxes, but we’re really about creating an honest, comfortable atmosphere for each person to actually get their questions answered. Taxes can be weird & painful. Brass Taxes focuses on communication, transparency, and education to help make this stuff less stressful and annoying.
We’re seeking a tax advisor who wants to build a career supporting passionate creatives and freelancers. You’ll work directly with clients to prepare their tax returns and help them better understand their finances.
- Full-Time Career: 50 hours/week, 5 days week, including weekends, January - April
- Flexible Off-Season Schedule: average 5-10 hours/week, highly flexible work schedule May - December
- 100% Remote Team: work from home of wherever you’re most comfortable
- Benefits: 4 weeks paid vacation, annual company retreat, and lots of flexibility
TO DO THIS JOB WELL, YOU’LL NEED...
- Mad communication skills. The US tax code isn’t literature for light reading. A candidate who enjoys talking to people, can ask the right questions, and communicates to clients in a way that’s understandable and relevant to each unique situation will succeed at Brass Taxes.
- Empathy. As you might imagine, our clients are often stressed and confused. The job of the tax preparer is to connect with them, explain what they need to understand, and clarify what they don’t need to worry about. This job calls on you to be your best even when you’re tired, in a bad mood, or frustrated.
- A strong sense of personal responsibility & attention to detail. The sensitive nature of dealing with someone’s finances means you need to maintain a high level of performance and accuracy. Handling errors and issues promptly and professionally is paramount.
- To be a self-starter. A huge part of the job is learning, researching, improving, and problem solving...no matter how many years of tax prep experience you have under your belt. We work as a team and continued on-the-job education is a key part of who we are, but only driven, independent workers who can manage their time well will thrive here.
- Tech-savvy-ness. We use a bunch of software tools to make tax season easier for us and a better experience for our clients. You’ll need to be comfortable learning and troubleshooting these important tools.
- 3+ years of freelance experience. Our ability to truly understand our clients is what sets us apart, so personal experience with the freelance world (how independent contractors do business, how they’re paid, and how they’re taxed) is important.
- Experience in tax preparation, accounting and/or bookkeeping is a big plus. While this background isn’t necessary, there is a steep learning curve to be prepared for. Get ready to study and learn like you haven’t since you were in school.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR...
- Education: Regardless of your previous tax background, we’ll make sure you’re ready for the upcoming tax season with a 12+ week full-time training course. The tax world is nuanced and deep. There’s always more to learn and your ongoing study will help you serve your clients better.
- Client appointments: You’ll host 1-on-1 phone and video call appointments with your clients to get the information necessary to complete their taxes and to help them with their financial goals. You don’t have to know all of the answers, but you are responsible for making clients feel comfortable. If you can get them to crack a smile while doing their taxes, you’re doing your job right.
- Building the business: We want to use your unique skills to serve our clients better. Are you a photographer on the side? Know a thing or two about advertising? Are you secretly a personal finance nerd? Whatever your talents, we want to build this part of the role for you.
Never thought of yourself as a “tax” person before?
That’s ok. Some of our most successful tax preparers are actors, artists, photographers, musicians, videographers, customer service reps, writers and editors, college kids, stay-at-home parents, and retirees. As long as you’re committed to doing the hard work to learn something new, you’re right for Brass Taxes.
Application tip: We care about you as a human person much more than your work history. Please include a cover letter telling us why Brass Taxes is a great fit for you.
Or maybe you're Looking for a different role?